The UQ in America Foundation
In 2011, The University of Queensland in America, Inc. Foundation (TUQIA) was established as a non-profit, 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization recognized by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). This IRS status enables private foundations and US corporations to fund research grants at UQ, which only fund IRS-recognized non-profits. It also allows US taxpayers – including corporations, foundations, and third-party financial entities such as Donor Advisory Funds – to make tax-deductible gifts and sponsor UQ events in the US, including conferences, galas and meetings.
TUQIA raises financial support for research and educational collaborations with US partners, friends and alumni. The Foundation benefits UQ students, programs and residential colleges. In compliance with IRS regulations, the Board of Directors of TUQIA maintains complete discretion over allocation of the gifts it receives.
TUQIA is also dedicated to securing gifts and grants from all American individuals in North America and living abroad. These gifts are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Estate planning vehicles – such as charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, charitable gift annuities, life insurance policies, and donations of stocks and securities – can be gifted to TUQIA and receive US tax deductions. Learn more.
Foundation Directors and Officers
The Foundation Board of Directors meets twice annually, including an annual meeting, and 51 per cent of its members must reside in the USA.
- President & Director: Dr. Andrew Liveris, Chairman, President & CEO of The DOW Chemical Company
- Treasurer & Director: Dr. Patrice Derrington, Chair, Global Real Estate Program of Schack Institute of Real Estate, NYU
- Director: Mr. Brian Macnish, Managing Principal of Craven Capital, LLC
- Director: Mr. Matt McLennan, Head of Global Value Team, First Eagle Investment Management, LLC
- Director & Program Committee Chair: Ms. Patricia Danver, Pro Vice Chancellor Advancement (Acting), The University of Queensland
- Executive Director & Corporate Secretary: Ms. Gina Wheatcroft, Strategic Engagement Advisor, The University of Queensland